Monday, October 23, 2006

At last, some progress!

Well, Stanford's most recent CT scan on Friday showed NO growth of the tumors! While the goal is to have them shrink away to nothing, this at least means they have found something that seems to be making a difference. And considering that at the end of July there were three tiny lesions and by the end of September there were over a dozen tumors, more tumor than liver, this is a huge improvement. So we go back on Wednesday for more chemo, this time doing the same thing but adding one more drug. This is all scary stuff. Lots of nasty side effects from them. For Stanford, this will mean being hooked up to get an infusion for 7 hours, then he'll come home with a pump for the remainder of the 5FU (one of the drugs) then it will be unhooked on Friday afternoon. He'll feel sick and tired, and nothing will taste good. Then he'll gradually feel better by about Saturday or Sunday. For me, this will mean 2 hours or so of driving up there, sitting and stitching/reading/watching DVD's all day, then 2 hours or so of driving back, and worrying about my boy. But if it does the job, this is what's necessary.

Here is my final picture in the series I had John take.
It is a lovely kit from a dear, new friend, Gail, whom I met at Celebration in Needlework. She has been encouraging me all along with cheerful emails, and is in a Yahoo group I'm in. She sent me this, and I just love it! It's amazing how sometimes you just "click" with someone right away. Gail is so friendly and cheerful, plus she has a lovely southern drawl that makes me think of friendship and hospitality and lazy days stitching on the porch, and somehow even her emails manage to have this drawl! I'll add this kit to my bag of goodies to stitch that cheer me up at Dartmouth and make a difficult time easier. Thank you, Gail!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear about Stanford. This is great news!!

mainely stitching said...

It is so good to hear some promising news about your son! I hope that the next step will be a significant shrinkage of the tumors.

Take care!!!!

Annemarie said...

Scary stuff, this, but I´m so happy to hear Stanford is responding so well to this treatment!

catandturtle said...

Joyce, I am so glad Stanford has no tumor growth, that is awesome! I am sorry for not posting or emailing lately. Life has been very busy and I feel so out of touch with stitching and friends. I hope you are doing okay too. Ann.