Thursday, June 01, 2006

Summertime, when the living is easy.

Thank you all so much for your kind comments and welcoming me so warmly to blogland! I'm learning more about posting each day, and between my husband, John, who takes the pictures, and my daughter, Heather, who helps me with the html stuff (John could do this as well, since he is a super geek, but Heather has a good eye for layout, as well as experience in editing, and has also inherited a little of her Dad's geek tendencies), this blog is truly a group effort.

I used to wonder what anyone could write about one subject, even stitching or knitting, day after day. How could there be new things to say all the time, especially if you only stitch for a few minutes so basically have not too much to show in the way of progress? But stitching (and knitting and reading, and all of those good things) are such a rich part of my life, I can't imagine days going by without at least thinking about them, even if there isn't the time for the hours of doing them that I would like.

My mother used to tease me that when I got married my wedding dress would need a pocket in it for the current book I was reading, because I couldn't be away from my books. Now I've added stitching and knitting to that, and usually carry my purse, along with my project bag to wherever I go, and at least have the bag in the car. My purse always has a tiny "emergency" cross-stitch kit in it, and if I'm going some place where a bag would be awkward, I will often throw a sock I'm knitting in my purse as well.

This evening we had two concerts to attend: the elementary school concert in which Julia, age 10, was singing with the chorus, also the jazz band concert in which Stanford, age 17 played with the jazz band and jazz lab band. Cloning has not yet been perfected, so I went with two of the kids to Julia's concert, and John went with the other to Stanford's. We arrived at the elementary school along with lots of other doting parents. As usual, there were about 250 people in the gym, and only about 200 chairs, so a fair number of us had to stand or sit on the floor. The gym was literally about 95 degrees (it has been about 90 and humid all day here), and they had four enormous fans, about 4' in diameter each, set up. The lights went out twice, because they were overheating, and they are huge industrial lights that take about 7 minutes to be lit again. So the kids who were supposed to play musical instruments couldn't see their music, so they scrambled up onto the risers (there was still light coming in from the open doors to see to do that), and did a few choral numbers, which were memorized. I felt bad for the parents who were trying to take movies, of shadows in the dark, singing! However, in the 10 minutes or so before the concert started while I was waiting, I got the second sock of the pair I'm making done to the last 8 stitches on the toe, and ready to be grafted together! By that time, the heat was unbearable, and knitting wool socks, even thin sock yarn on skinny needles, irritated me and stuck to my hands, so I was glad to put it away. Pictures later.

Earlier today I spent lunchtime knitting at my LYS, Ewe'll Love It. Beverly has knit-lunch every Thursday, and I go when I can. It is so relaxing and inspiring. Today I also bought a pattern for a shawl, and some patriotic sock yarn that had just come in. I wasn't going to buy it at first, and listed it in a little notebook I had in my purse. When I went to write down the color number, it was "1776", the year the USA gained its independence. How cool is that!

Even earlier today, first thing in the morning, actually . . . actually about 6:15 this morning, I finally worked a little on the garden. I like gardening, once I get started, even though bugs don't thrill me, and dirt and sweat hinder my stitching. I want the yard and garden to look decent, so I figured I would just have to commit to about 20 minutes a day of work, and if I do it first thing in the morning, there aren't too many bugs, and I could shower right after, and it's not too hot just yet, plus I can work in the shade. So today I planted parsley, which also involved cleaning out the first box garden of dead leaves and weeds. I read that the sage should not be allowed to flower, and should be replaced every two or three years, so next time I'll take care of that, also plant the tomato plants, cucumber, and beans that I bought. Here is the garden as it looks now. The cute little house behind is our shed. I suggested when we got it that if John wired it for light, I could make it into a perfect little play house for me to escape to and stitch, but he said no, we needed a place for the lawnmower and bikes and such. Details, details!

Last night I went to visit my friend, Patty, and we sat out on her deck and stitched for as long as the light lasted. It was just delightful! I made more progress on DT's Spring while we listened to the birds and talked. I would love to make a welcoming outdoor retreat like that. I'm hoping to get a screen house this year so I can enjoy looking at the garden, and stitching, without the bugs enjoying me.

8 comments:

Kucki68 said...

Hi Joyce,

I am German, that's why I live here. But I read a lot of blogs in English and it gives me reason to practice my writting skills.

If you like, mail me:

Kucki68@yahoo.com

Annemarie said...

Hey Joyce, thanks for payingme a visit :o) I don't think you will have ANY problems finding subjects to write about, by the look of it.
Your garden looks really neat. But getting up at six to tend it? Hmmm. Glad it's not me...

Casa Pearl said...

Yeah Joyce! So nice to see you in cyber-land. I so miss having Ewe'll Love It so close. I can't wait to see those socks knit up - by the 4th of July maybe?

mainely stitching said...

Welcome to blogland, Joyce! I've enjoyed reading your entries and admiring your projects. And I think I'll give your 20 minutes per morning gardening tip a try. My weeds are constantly outgrowing my plants... :-)

Susimac said...

Your garden looks really neat, its nice to sit outside and stitch I love doing it in the summer. I thought it would be hard just talking about my stitching, but I have found its not LOL!!

Lelia said...

Hi Joyce: reading blog postings is a blast. they are like mini-magazines ; )

My daughter got me hooked on blogging. Now i have 2 -- one for books & one for stitching.

It is a good outlet for all the crafty stuff swimming around in my brain LOL

Enjoy the week-end.

Carol said...

Thanks for the link for the yarn shop! My mom is an avid knitter and is not terribly far from Nashua (in Andover, MA) - I am going to send her the link since I don't think she knows of this shop!! It was so nice seeing you today at Colonial Needleworks!! We have to do that again soon!

catandturtle said...

Joyce, I love reading your blog. It had me laughing quite a bit; you are a riot. I hope we can get together and stitch soon.