Monday, June 05, 2006

Lady Liberty

My days are very full just now, often more full than I would like them to be. With one son graduating from High School this Saturday, and all of the end-of-the-year things that involves, and two other kids finishing up their school projects, a field trip to chaperone this week, one son who just bought his first car and the help he needed in getting it inspected and being driven to work while the car was in the shop, periodontal surgery tomorrow (I scheduled that, and a mammogram next week to get them done before school lets out for the summer) and all the recitals and concerts that happen, it's a wonder I've found the time to breathe, let alone stitch or read or blog. But the stitching and reading and blogging (which I'm finding I really enjoy, both the reading and the writing) are my sanity and help me through the busy times. On Saturday, though, we spent the day on a family outing (which we haven't done for ages) to some place I have never been before, and it was wonderful.

Julia's 4th grade class sponsored a trip to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Now I've lived in New England for 21 years, and have only driven past New York City, never into it. So this was quite an opportunity. We met at the elementary school at 6 am and got on one of the two coach busses that were hired. We rode in comfort for about five hours, sleeping, reading, watching DVD's, and I stitched a little (on the more smooth parts of the ride) and knitted a lot. Here is what I knitted: Isn't the yarn turning out great? It's a sock version of the American flag. It is so much fun to knit away and see what the yarn becomes. Now, Patti, before you think that I always knit socks this fast, keep in mind that we were on the bus for five hours going down, and five hours coming back. And knitting is much easier on a bus than stitching is, though I tried them both. I have actually amazed myself with how fast this sock is knitting up, and maybe I will actually have the pair done by the 4th of July!

It was so exciting to go through New York City, first seeing all the skyscrapers (did you know some of them have gardens growing on the roof?), some of them rising into the clouds. We drove down Broadway and saw lots of theatres, where Wicked was playing, and Phantom of the Opera, too, Carnegie Hall, and all sorts of others. I was so much wanting to get out and walk all around and be a true tourist, gazing at the skyscrapers and staring in awe at all of the sights I only read about.

Finally we arrived at the ferry to take us to the Statue of Liberty. The only sad part of the trip (for me) is that when they do the security screening to get onto the ferry, they run your stuff through an x-ray machine, like at airports. I had purposely taken a pair of child's Fiskar's in my knitting bag, which I was allowed to take on my last airplane flight with no problem. They took those away from me. And the really sad part is that they also took my little folding scissors that have been on my keyring for years and years. I had completely forgotten to take them off and leave them on the bus. And by the time I discovered I couldn't have them, the bus was gone to wherever it would park for the day, the rest of the tour group had gone ahead, also my children, and even though they gave me the option of refunding my money and letting me have my things back, I didn't really have that choice since we were with the group. So, sadly, I let them go. The folding scissors have been mine since I was about 10 years old, when I got them in my stocking at Christmas. I have to admit I cried a little, and was really ticked, too (just how can terrorists use folding scissors and children's Fiskar scissors for evil purposes? Or even if they can, I can think of even more evil ways to use ball-point pens and my own thumbs!) I will be replacing the scissors as soon as I can corner my husband to do what he does with temporary credit card numbers on the internet, maybe tomorrow night, and ALWAYS remember to take them off my keyring when going through security checkpoints from now on!

The Statue of Liberty is amazing . . . imagine arriving into the harbor after ten days on board a crowded ship, seeing this for the first time, your first look at your new country. (I'll post pictures soon.) The day was misty, sometimes pouring rain, which lent a softness and wistfulness to the New York skyline and to the Statue of Liberty herself. Then from there we went by ferry to Ellis Island, to see where 12,000,000 people have entered the USA. It was a very moving and touching experience, to see where they waited their turns for quick medical exams (including having their eyelids upturned by a buttonhook to check for signs of a very contagious eye disease), and had other tests to make sure they could contribute to the society, before being allowed into America. There was a museum of belongings some of the people had brought, and displays showing which countries the people had come from at various times. There were walls with many, many names of the people who had come there listed on them.

After Ellis Island, we had a chance to walk around New York City for a short time before meeting up with the bus again. We walked several city blocks, passing a large bull (for the bull market in the financial district), seeing Trinity Church (the one featured in the movie National Treasure), and finally arriving at the site of the World Trade Center. What a sobering sight.

One day I would like to go back to New York City and spend more time there. I would love to explore the streets and shops, eat in the restaurants, and visit museums.

On the way back, we watched the movie, Hitch, which I had never seen before, and which takes place in New York City, and showed many of the sights we had seen. What a fun day!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Wow, you sure are busy! I am glad your trip to Ellis Island went well, but I feel soooo sadly for your that they confiscated your scissors :-( Argghhh!!!

You asked about how many projects I am working on - I am not sure at the moment, but each is in my sidebar right now.... my guess is about a dozen, but many do not get a lot of attention lately due to the two huge Chatelaine projects... am working on GSS tonight, so the chart should be yours very soon now :-)

Annemarie said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time in New York City, Joyce. Tragic news about the scissors. I LOVE the way your socks are turning out. I'm going to try my hand at sock knitting (once again) once I have the time. For now, though, working with more than two needles is still a bit of a challenge for me. How do you do it? I'll be watching your progress jealously...

Jenn said...

Joyce, I just came across your blog. Welcome to the world of blogging. :)

It sounds like you had a great time in NYC...except for them taking your scissors.