Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Celtic Autumn, at last!



Here, finally, is a picture of my progress on Celtic Autumn! I'm stitching her on 28 count Angel Twinkle, by Liberty Street Designs, and I love this fabric! I love the color and the slightly distressed look, and I love the feel as I stitch on it. Also, having a brand new eyeglass prescription helps me to enjoy my stitching even more now!

I did cheat a little, and stitched an extra evening (but I rationalize this by remembering that last Thursday's stitching was only about an hour, so my Saturday stitching time was really just an extension of Thursday, right?). Here are a couple of questions for anyone who has stitched one of these: How do you keep your place in the chart? So far I'm just marking it off with a pencil, but that will get messy as I fill in more. Do you put in the beads as you go? I'm stitching in hand, so could do that and a q-snap won't get in the way. What color of floss do I use to attach the beads? One strand or two? Also, the conversion says to "use two of the three strands of gold instead", which makes no sense to me at all, since the orignal chart does not say to use more than one strand of gold, and the gold does not come apart like DMC. I have been using one strand, and I think two or three would be too many. I've done SAL's before, but never with a set day of the week, and I really like doing it this way. I'm actually stitching this piece and not letting it become one more UFO in my basket!

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Joyce, You've made a great start to your pice. It's going to look so pretty on the fabric that you picked to do it on.

mainely stitching said...

Wow, great start! I always save my beading for last on projects, but that's really because I don't like doing it that much. And I attach beads with the color of the fabric, so it sort of "disappears" and just the bead shows up. Good luck and have fun!

Anonymous said...

Joyce-

Celtic Autumn looks great. You can add beads either as you go along or wait until the end since you stitch in hand. You should get some invisible thread from your LNS (it's not expensive)to put the beads on with, that way you just see the beads and no thread. I use a highlighter on patterns like this so I don't lose my place. Someone recommended Crayola erasable colored pencils to me because they erase easily if you make a mistake, but I prefer the highlighter, it shows up better.

Carol said...

Wow, CA looks great on that fabric!!! I stitched Celtic Winter last year and was super happy with the coverage using one strand of Petite Treasure Braid on 28 ct lugana. And, it is so much easier to stitch with one strand. Sue has some neat invisible thread you can use to attach your beads :-)

Annemarie said...

What a lovely project! The colours, so far, are stunning. I must admit I'm not too fond of beads or specialty threads (por specialty fabric, for that matter), so I can't give you any advice on the beads. As for large charts, I use a magnetic board and a magnetic see through ruler. And then coloured pencils to keep my place as I go along.

catandturtle said...

Yea! It looks awesome. I love the fabric you are using too. I have been using a pencil. I just can't bring myself to use a highlighter even though I won't be doing this pattern twice. :D Also, I can so see me getting highlighter on my fabric which would be bad. I am just using one strand of the gold and I am pretty sure I am going to use that to attach the beads. Ann.

catandturtle said...

I just read Sue's post and what an awesome idea of using invisible thread to attach the beads! I never thought of that and I have invisible thread at home. Cool. I am going to try it. Thanks Sue! Ann.